The results and longevity of your treatment will depend greatly on how you take care of your scalp during the healing process and beyond. Each client’s skin will respond differently to the treatments, both in the length of time it takes to heal, and the number of sessions needed for your desired results. This information acts as a guideline only.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- The complete healing process takes about 6-8 weeks.
- Immediately following the procedure, you may experience minimal discomfort on the treated area. Many clients describe a similar sensation as a sunburn, with redness and swelling. Symptoms will subside within 24-48 hours.
- During the first week, the tattooed area will initially appear to be darker and bolder in color and more sharply defined than the final result.
- Minimal scabbing or flaking of the skin is normal during the first few weeks of the healing period. To avoid loss of pigmentation, do not itch or remove scabs. They will naturally fall off on their own.
- Throughout the healing process, your tattoo will lighten in color, as your skin is exfoliating and regenerating. Be patient and wait at least 6 weeks to see the true color, as it often re-strengthens at the end.
- Adjustments and touch-ups can be made only after the 6-8 week healing period is complete.
CARE FOR YOUR NEW SCALP TATTOO:
During the healing process, please avoid the following:
- Application of water, shampoo, lotions, creams or other scalp products for 7 days. We will provide you with a disposable shower cap to ensure your head does not get wet when you shower.
- Scratching or removal of scabs, dry skin/flakiness.
- Activities that will cause sweating for 7 days.
- Helmets, hats or hair prostheses for prolonged periods.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs or other bodies of water for 14 days.
- Scalp shaving for 10 days, and avoiding going over any remaining scabs during the rest of the healing weeks.
AFTER YOU’VE HEALED:
- Exposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause fading and discolouration of the pigment. Once completely healed, always apply sunscreen (30 SPF or greater) on the treated area and wear a hat for further protection.
- Always rinse and dry the scalp thoroughly when in contact with chlorine.
- For men who still have some growing hair follicles, we recommend shaving your head every 2-3 days to maintain an even “freshly shaved” look.
- While the treatment is permanent, the pigmentation will slowly fade over time. Periodic touchups with Hoi Tattoo may be required.